I attempted five different mindful eating techniques to see if they could aid in weight loss. Some of these methods were more effective than others, but ultimately I wanted to determine if being more mindful of my eating habits could have a positive impact on my weight.

Throughout my life, I have developed the habit of eating quickly. I believe this tendency originated from my time as a competitive golfer in college, where I became accustomed to devouring a banana quickly while rushing to my next shot, in order to save time.
In addition to eating quickly during tournaments, I also found myself consuming snacks rapidly on a regular basis. Early morning workouts at 5:30 a.m. left me with limited time for breakfast, so I often resorted to grabbing granola bars and hastily eating them as I dashed out the door.
Jumping to the present day, I find myself still struggling with the habit of eating too quickly and without proper attention.
In my daily routine, it's common for me to gulp down cups of coffee during meetings, quickly munch on lunch at my desk, or forego a proper seated dinner in favor of hastily eating over the kitchen sink. (I know, it's not the most glamorous habit.
Despite my lack of pride in this behavior, it's certainly something that people around me tend to notice. Whether it's my family or a snarky waiter, I'm often met with comments such as "Wow, you ate that fast!" or "You must have really enjoyed that meal, huh?"
I can't stand these comments. They make me feel uncomfortable, and there's no good way to respond to them. Regardless of how my fast eating habit came about, I recognize that it's not an ideal behavior.
I'm aware that I'm not the only one who eats quickly. In America, it's a common characteristic that we often celebrate as part of our "busy" lifestyle. If you eat lunch at your desk, it's a sign that you're a hard worker. If you have dinner in the car on your way to the gym, it shows that you're dedicated to your fitness routine.
During one summer, I had the opportunity to visit Spain. While there, I couldn't help but notice how much more thought and care Spaniards put into their meals. Dinner could last for two hours, with people enjoying a glass of wine and savoring the flavors and aromas of their food. It was a stark contrast to the rushed, utilitarian approach to eating that I was used to.
In Spain, eating is not simply a task to be completed in order to move on to the next activity. Rather, it's an experience to be savored and enjoyed. While it may seem impractical to emulate this approach in our fast-paced culture, it's worth noting that slowing down our eating habits can yield significant benefits. In fact, it may even help with weight loss goals.
For instance, a 2017 study conducted at Kyushu University in Japan demonstrated that individuals who take their time chewing their food experience improved digestion and a greater sense of fullness. Researchers also found that, on average, those who ate at a slower pace had a smaller waist circumference and lower body mass index.
Similarly, the American Heart Association conducted a study which found that fast eaters are 11% more likely to develop metabolic syndrome—a group of conditions which can increase the risk of serious health issues.
Upon learning about the potential health risks associated with fast eating, I was inspired to make some changes to my eating habits. I set a goal to slow down my chewing for a period of two weeks and observe the effects.
However, I quickly discovered that altering my eating pace was no easy feat. Despite my best intentions, I often found myself looking down at an empty plate just five minutes after starting my meal. Determined to succeed, I conducted some research and identified five different strategies for slowing down my eating. I tried each method to see what worked, what didn't, and which habits I planned to continue using moving forward.
Revamp Your Eating Environment: Tips for Better Dining Habits
One popular theory suggests that altering your eating environment can lead to more mindful eating habits. By dining at a proper table with a plate, as opposed to hastily consuming food over the kitchen sink, individuals can focus on savoring their meals.
While the idea may seem straightforward, putting it into practice can be challenging. For instance, my husband Nick and I often.
At first, it was a bit challenging to convince Nick to turn off our favorite TV show, The Office, and relocate our dinner setting. However, by making small changes to our eating environment and doing away with distractions, I was able to develop more mindful eating habits.
Sitting at a proper dining table, free from any external noises or distractions, allowed me to fully engage in the dining experience and focus solely on my food. In fact, I found that conversing with Nick over our meals helped me slow down and take breaks between bites, leading to a more enjoyable and satisfying dining experience. As an added bonus, this change also helped us feel more connected to each other.
The Benefits of Counting Your Chews While Eating:
Counting the number of times you chew your food is a popular technique for slowing down your eating and has been claimed to aid in weight loss.
Thorough chewing is said to improve digestion. It's logical: smaller food particles are easier to digest. Research has also shown that chewing increases blood flow to the stomach and gut, improving their functions.
While this technique seems promising, I found it difficult to remember to count my chews. Additionally, when I did try it, it felt like a chore rather than an enjoyable experience. Instead of savoring the taste of my food, I was focused on keeping count.
Hydrate Your Eating Habits: Drinking Water Between Bites:
The practice of drinking water between bites is known to promote slower eating by creating pauses between each mouthful. The concept is that the additional water assists in digestion.
Although I did feel more hydrated and became full quicker, it didn't provide me with a sense of true satisfaction; instead, I experienced a bloated feeling due to the large amount of water in my belly. I found that I became hungry again sooner than usual, but I also ate less overall.
Adopt a Slow Eating Pace by Matching Someone Else's:
The saying "you become who you surround yourself with" also applies to eating habits, and unfortunately, my family and friends are all fast eaters.
Trying to find someone to pace myself with was difficult, but luckily, I have friends from Ireland and Australia who eat slower. One night, we went out for tacos and I attempted to match my eating pace with theirs.
Honestly, it felt uncomfortable and odd to focus so much on their chewing pace. It made me feel like I was being invasive and creepy. In the end, the potential benefits of eating slower weren't worth feeling like the odd one out at the table. While this tip may work for some, it just wasn't for me.
Pause Between Bites: Put Down Your Utensil
I discovered a simple way to slow down my eating pace, and that is by putting down my utensil or food between each bite. Whenever I finished chewing, I just placed my utensil on the plate or put the food down.
Out of all the tips, this one was the most effective for me. It was effortless and natural, and it helped me savor the flavors and appreciate my meal more. I highly recommend this technique to anyone looking to eat more mindfully.
Did I End up Losing Weight Though?
Despite losing only 1.3 lbs, I did not achieve significant weight loss during my experiment of eating slowly. However, what I gained was far more valuable- stress relief. Previously, I would eat meals in a hurried manner, barely pausing to enjoy the taste or appreciate the experience. This approach caused me to feel tense, which was detrimental to my well-being.
By taking a break from technology and distractions, and setting aside time to enjoy my meal, I found a sense of relaxation and satisfaction that I had not experienced before. I savored the flavors of my food and felt more content even if I consumed less. Most importantly, I felt happier.
While it may be challenging to eat slowly during busy periods, I now understand the importance of taking a moment to relax and enjoy meals for both physical and mental well-being..
Comments
Post a Comment